Deciding what was going where in the garden was an intense telephone call between Charlie and me. We had already chosen the seeds way back here, but which square gets what was the question of the day. Here’s the layout we finally decided on. (Why I’m involved I’m not quite sure since I don’t do any planting or tending, I just eat the harvest.)
The list of crops and square positions are as follows:
Blue Lake Pole Beans
Radishes/Sun Gold tomatoes
Runner cukes Hybrid II
Bush cukes Burpfree
Bush beans Tavera
Bush cukes Picklebush
Bush beans French filet
Bush beans Tenderpick
Our goal date to plant the garden is May 1st. In our area it’s a good idea not to plant too much ahead of time just in case there’s a late spring frost. Charlie actually did most of the planting on April 30th.
We have a few more small squares not yet assigned but for the most part the 2012 Potager planting is finished. Everything is in except the Sun Gold tomatoes in squares 2 and 6 which we get from a farmer friend a little later in the season.
For the dining room windows we scraped out the putty, pulled the glazing points, and removed the broken pieces of glass which took 2 adults a couple of hours.
We used an elaborate scheme to keep the bits of old putty and broken shards from falling into the dining room.
We bought 2 pieces of 10-5/8 inches by 13 inches glass which was custom cut by a Lowes’ employee. The glass fit perfectly. (We tried Home Depot first but they don’t cut glass.)
To install the windows place the pane into the opening made by the mullions and hold it in place with glazier’s points which you can press firmly in with the end of a putty knife. Sometimes the putty knife needs a few taps with a lightweight hammer.
Then replace the putty which is explained in this tutorial. And voila, the window has been replaced.
It only took me 10 months to make this simple repair.
What are you waiting for?
Sidebar: We recently noticed that one of the central window panes in the cottage has a crack in it almost like a rock or pebble hit it. But now we’re experts, n’est-ce pas?
The great huge eyesore in our backyard, right up against the house is our oil tank.
Don’t worry, it’s not rusty. When it was first installed a few years ago I sprayed it with rust inhibitor paint that makes it look rusty.
I had always meant to paint the oil tank the same color as the house to diminish its overwhelming presence. To make sure the house paint sticks to the metal tank as well as possible I started with a coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 Bull’s Eye white primer.
Then I covered the primer with 2 coats of our house paint color Glamour Gray by Duron.
Finally I used some dark grey etching primer to finish the bottom and legs. Oops! My hand slipped when I was spraying the dark grey but I’ll fix that soon.
Even though it hasn’t totally disappeared it’s not quite so noticable as before. Maybe some day we’ll surround it with it’s own little structure and some plants that will also hide the dreaded trash cans. I found the inspiration below on Pinterest.
To help the cause we also removed the clutter that was collecting at the back of the house: convenient – “Yes”, lovely – “No!” Little by little we’re making “improvements”. At least we hope that’s what they are.
Some the screens in our storm windows have holes in them: some holes made by nature, some made by man.
In the past I have replaced screening in old-style wooden screen doors which I showed you here. Screen doors get a lot of action and the screen in them gets a lot of abuse.
The window screens, however, are not usually at much risk for repeated damage and repairs are not so obvious. When this dining room storm window screen (wire mesh) was torn during Hurricane Irene I was going to take it to a screen repairer because I didn’t want to get involved in buying a new gasket, gasket tool, appropriate screen, etc. to repair it.
When I took a closer look I noticed the original rubber gasket was definitely doing its job holding the screening in the aluminum frame. I’m sure it’s brittle but before I could get to replacing it I’d have to remove it, the part of a job I don’t care for.
So I decided to try my hand at patching the screen. I had available some old screen which, unfortunately, was black and not grey like my screen but I used it anyway. Following Martha Stewart’s instructions I trimmed the hole in the screen to a tidy square.
Cut a piece of screening half-inch all around larger than the hole.
Then bend the frayed edges in a right angle with needle nose pliers.
Set the patch over the hole and let the ends push through to the other side. Flatten the ends away from the patch and trim them if they seem too long.
This patch is invisible from both inside the house and outside.The patch can be seen when the screen is in place probably because the patch is black.
So I’ll just pull down the shade and worry about it tomorrow.
In the morning light things looked better.
The view from the back yard wasn’t too bad either.
It was in good condition until our son used it as a study/coffee station and ruined the finish on the surface toward the back.
One of the things that stopped my progress dead in the water was that I could not remove all the drawers; they were really stuck. I finally had to resort to forcing them open a little then banging them out with a hammer.
One of the drawers needs to be all but totally rebuilt.
I believe the others just need to be planed down a little with the Surform and sand paper.
Once the drawers fit and glide I’ll sand the entire surface and lay on some primer. Then I want to paint the whole thing black. Kristen at The Frugal Girl has a great tutorial. It might look almost like the one below from Pinterest.