The task I’m referring to is putting in some more baseboard. The plan last Saturday was to get something finished.
Of course we didn’t finish it and totally whittle down the pile of trim but the hallway in the master suite is completed.
The first area Sug and I worked on intersected with the lower cabinet of the linen closet.
Our baseboard is formed by a piece of 1 by 4 topped with ogee molding and finished with a piece of shoe molding in the front. We tried to cope the 1 by 4 so it would fit into the bottom trim on the cabinet but we really couldn’t make it work that way.
So instead of coping we just trimmed the cabinet trim and ran the baseboard all the way back to the cabinet.
We cut 1 by 4 for all areas then topped it with ogee.
We tried again to cope the joints of the shoe molding and were successful. Using a coping saw we cut out the shape of the shoe molding in the adjoining piece.
The hallway is trimmed. And we put a door stop behind the bedroom door so the door knob doesn’t make a hole in the wall.
I posted a list of unfinished tasks in April of this year. We have made some serious progress but we still have a number of tasks to finish before it becomes the serene, restful, uncluttered place I have always envisioned.
1. Finish the inside of the master closet. Earlier this year we built the empty room into a fitted out closet space which still needs finishing touches like face frames, shoe storage, and trim work.
The last of 10 windows that were getting shutters is a smaller-than-the-rest casement window on the west side of the house. (If you’re not interested in all the steps to resizing a shutter skip down to the bottom of the post to see the before-and-after photos.)
We decided to modify one set of the original shutters to fit this window.
Measure the window — shutters cover the window not the window frame.
Measure the shutters — determine how much needs to be removed.
Cut shutters — carefully mark the top and bottom of the shutters and cut off an equal amount maintain the center rail.
Replace the top and bottom rails — slide the rails in and secure with pocket screws.
Replace hinges — chisel 4 hinge mortises and attach hinges with screws.
Replace tie-back hardware — screw hardware into bottom rail.
For a change things went pretty much as planned.
I measured the window which was 30.5 inches by 40 inches.
Traditional shutters cover only the window, not the trim.
The shutters were 16 inches wide and 54 inches tall, therefore a total of 14 inches needed to be cut away from the length of the shutter.
To maintain the support of the center rail we cut 7 inches from the top of the shutter and 7 inches from the bottom using a circular saw. I marked the cut on the stiles and Charlie followed the lines but sawed through the slat freehand.
Then we removed the top and bottom rails by cutting the their tenons off with a hand saw.
I pulled out enough slats to allow the top and bottom rails to fit into the shortened stiles.
We drilled pocket holes with the Kreg jig to put the top and bottom rails back in place since we had no way to mortise and tenon the new joint. (Angle irons could also be used.)
We fitted the drilled rails back into the shutter and screwed it together.
In order to replace the hinges Charlie chiseled out shallow mortises. (This step could also be accomplished with a router.)
All bare wood was primed and painted and the hardware replaced.
We replace the original tie-back hardware on the newly positioned bottom rail.