Then I moved to the closet section where there was a good selection of closet poles. I decided to buy the long, sturdy brushed metal poles instead of the more lightweight telescoping ones. I think we can get two sections per long pole.
While looking for 3″-long screws to put the base of the closet together I went down the knobs aisle and purchased 4 faceted crystal-like ball knobs for the two cabinets in the closet and the backs of the closet doors.
The backs of the doors need a knob because if you close yourself in the closet it’s difficult to open the door from the back. Since I don’t want a screwhead to show from the right side of the door I bought hanger bolts which will go into the knob and then screw into the wood without going through to the other side.
I also bought a box of 3-inch screws.
Finally I took the can of paint I was using for the closet interior which was marked with a small Lowes logo that was all I could see on the can, everything else had been obliterated by dripping paint. I would have had enough to finish the project except over the weekend a large wind carried a piece of Styrofoam across the yard and knocked over my can. A very helpful paint counter representative found exactly the color and type of paint that was in the original can.
I also picked up some 6″ foam fuzzy small roller sleeves. So I had a very beneficial shopping trip at Lowes.
How do you decide where to shop?
I have not been perked nor paid in any way for posting my opinions and choices here.
Back in August I helped to freshen up a garage apartment with two bedrooms and a living room/kitchen which was improved with paint and new appliances . The best part for me is that I made the design decisions but we used a contractor to make the improvements.
The bathroom was a dungeon which needed a new vanity, sink, and lighting fixture. We discovered that the exhaust fan in the bathroom which turns on with the light doesn’t actually draw so it will also be replaced.
When the vanity was removed we were happy to find that the walls had been tiled all the way to the floor. A GFI outlet was installed on the right-hand wall (so the dangerous extension cord from the medicine cabinet would be unnecessary in the future).
However the left part of the wall had been cutout where the stairwell ceiling had to be accommodated.
The contractor told me that the vanity he ordered wouldn’t fit. Since the vanity and sink were destined to be in a three-sided niche I suggested he take it apart and use only the facing piece. Ultimately the new vanity was partially dismantled to allow it to squeeze into the space and the sink-top was trimmed.
New lights were put above the fluorescent tubes on the medicine cabinet.
And a new exhaust fan was vented to the outside. (The old fan vented into the very shallow attic.)
Now the bathroom is not only more functional but also safer.