I described the beginning of the recushioning of the vintage dining room chairs here.
After finishing the webbing on the first frame I decided that I had used too much webbing and so reduced the remaining chairs to 2 vertical pieces and 2 horizontal pieces.
Next step is to cut and attach a fabric layer over the webbing.
Some sites call for burlap; I used unbleached cotton muslin.
Trace with a marker the outline of the seat frame onto 1-inch high density foam. I used foam that was already approximately the size of the seats. I laid the front edge of the seat frame against the edge of the foam so only three sides would need to be cut.
I carefully trimmed the excess with scissors. (My preferred method of cutting foam is an electric knife but I couldn’t find ours.)
On top of the foam a layer of batting is applied that is just a bit larger than the foam.
Finally a layer of the upholstery fabric is cut with enough excess to totally cover the top and sides of the cushion and be pulled to the underside for stapling. After the fabric is cut but before it’s applied is a good time to iron it.
Starting with the front put a staple in the middle of the upholstery fabric. Pull it taut to the back of the cushion and staple again near the center. Then do the same on both side making sure the fabric stays on the straight of grain.
Adjust the corners so they lie flat in a neat pleat.
Staple all around the perimeter of the fabric pulling taut to remove bubbles but not so tight as to pull on the bias.
Place the newly upholstered cushion into the chair.
Taking the old seats apart was really holding me up until a friend said that’s the kind of mindless work she liked to do. So I let her take apart 3 of the 4 cushions. I’m keeping the 4th one in tact to make sure I know how to put them back together.
The cushions are marked with Roman numerals to identify to which chair frame they belong and I marked top and bottom just to be sure I got it right.
The process starts with laying a piece of jute webbing on the top of the frame. Then staple the webbing to the frame and wrap it back over itself. Staple again.
Stretch it taut across the frame and repeat the stapling process.
Fill the frame both vertically and horizontally, weaving the strips as you go along.
I filled the first frame with 3 vertical and 3 horizontal strips.
I used only 2 horizontal strips on subsequent frames to reduce the bulk and the amount of webbing necessary.
Having almost finished a prototype I plan to finish applying all the webbing before proceeding with additional steps of adding padding and top fabric.
This week started off busy and is slated to continue that way.
Yesterday I sold our old tennis racquets for $15 after listing them on Craigslist. It was a bargain and the buyer arrived in a Lincoln. I gave her a 2-hour window and of course she arrived at the end of the window.
I’ve rearranged the furniture in the conservatory so 10 of us can fit in this room to discuss To Kill a Mocking Bird.
I told Charlie he has to clear out his stuff from the conservatory floor.
I also asked him “very nicely” to put an air conditioner in the window in the corner. Generally the house stays at a comfortable temperature but we’re expecting hot and humid days and some of my guests suffer from over heating.
Then on Friday we’re hosting a screening of Young @ Heart for my choir. This is also happening in the conservatory.
I invited 19 people but am realistically expecting 10 to 12. We’ll move the coffee table out of the room (under the dining room table) and set up chairs facing the television.
Yesterday’s post described the deconstruction necessary before making the repairs to the French Garden chairs.
Using primed pine mullions I scribed the length onto the onto the new piece matching the slats on the original chairs.
I cut the slats to length with a power miter saw and also trimmed the corners by adjusting the saw to 45 degrees.
I sanded the sharp edges off the corners with a radial hand sander. (I tried using a Dremel tool which was both inefficient and spotty.)
Using one of the broken slats as a guide I marked the screw holes and drilled them so the bolt would be a tight fit. Charlie screwed in the bolts (from our supply) and secured them with nuts on the underside.
We fixed 6 entire chairs. In order to finish the final 3 we need a trip to Home Depot for more lumber supplies.