I described the beginning of the recushioning of the vintage dining room chairs here.
After finishing the webbing on the first frame I decided that I had used too much webbing and so reduced the remaining chairs to 2 vertical pieces and 2 horizontal pieces.
Next step is to cut and attach a fabric layer over the webbing.
Some sites call for burlap; I used unbleached cotton muslin.
Trace with a marker the outline of the seat frame onto 1-inch high density foam. I used foam that was already approximately the size of the seats. I laid the front edge of the seat frame against the edge of the foam so only three sides would need to be cut.
I carefully trimmed the excess with scissors. (My preferred method of cutting foam is an electric knife but I couldn’t find ours.)
On top of the foam a layer of batting is applied that is just a bit larger than the foam.
Finally a layer of the upholstery fabric is cut with enough excess to totally cover the top and sides of the cushion and be pulled to the underside for stapling. After the fabric is cut but before it’s applied is a good time to iron it.
Starting with the front put a staple in the middle of the upholstery fabric. Pull it taut to the back of the cushion and staple again near the center. Then do the same on both side making sure the fabric stays on the straight of grain.
Adjust the corners so they lie flat in a neat pleat.
Staple all around the perimeter of the fabric pulling taut to remove bubbles but not so tight as to pull on the bias.
Place the newly upholstered cushion into the chair.
Taking the old seats apart was really holding me up until a friend said that’s the kind of mindless work she liked to do. So I let her take apart 3 of the 4 cushions. I’m keeping the 4th one in tact to make sure I know how to put them back together.
The cushions are marked with Roman numerals to identify to which chair frame they belong and I marked top and bottom just to be sure I got it right.
The process starts with laying a piece of jute webbing on the top of the frame. Then staple the webbing to the frame and wrap it back over itself. Staple again.
Stretch it taut across the frame and repeat the stapling process.
Fill the frame both vertically and horizontally, weaving the strips as you go along.
I filled the first frame with 3 vertical and 3 horizontal strips.
I used only 2 horizontal strips on subsequent frames to reduce the bulk and the amount of webbing necessary.
Having almost finished a prototype I plan to finish applying all the webbing before proceeding with additional steps of adding padding and top fabric.
And the sofa slipcover has been changed from grey to white.
As a side note on her way home from the Book Swap last Saturday one of my friends asked what I was going to do with the bookcase we had moved from the attic to the porch. I asked her if she wanted it (a thirty-year-old Ikea unit) and we loaded it up in her car then and there.