The plumbing is configured with the waterlines coming up through the floor and the drain line protruding from the wall.
I’m always amazed that the measuring our friend does seems (to me) to be upside down and backwards but then everything fits.
He had cut the pipes level with a cut-off saw.
Our installer (The Viking) drilled 2 large holes in the back of the vanity and 4 smaller holes in the bottom.
With Charlie’s help the vanity was lifted onto the drain pipes. I helped thread the supply lines through the holes in the bottom.
He also brought a new (to us) kind of supply line valve called a SharkBite straight quarter turn stop. Apparently this push-fit connections costs about a dollar more, $9.72 each, than the traditional glued connection.
The push-fit valve just pushes over the pipe and stops the water. When we turned the water back on there were no leaks or drips. Yeeeee!
And the heat duct cannot be seen under the vanity so no masking necessary.
Next installment: the sinks.
Have you tried a new gadget that works great? Doesn’t work at all? Isn’t worth the money?
I soaked my paint brushes in brush cleaner. Unfortunately some of the paint was still damp on the brushes which transferred to my Glade bench. Now I have a decision of whether to ditch the bench or give it a different finish.
This week I’m in full tea party mode. I planned the menu and did the shopping, now I just have to arrange the flowers, assemble the sandwiches, and plate the desserts. (Charlie and son will make and serve the tea in their best tearoom manner. They both have experience in this area.)
On the savory side:
chicken salad sandwiches,
egg salad sandwiches,
On the sweet side:
lemon curd in meringue shells aka Pavlovas,
almond pound cake,
mini sweet bites from Trader Joe’s.
Since I’m having 2 parties on consecutive Saturdays I’ve asked a friend on next week’s guest list to give me a hand with this week’s preparations.
The head count for tomorrow is 9. We’ll need extra chairs in the living room. Things will be tight cozy.
I’ve already put a card table with a tablecloth in the living room to hold the goodies in addition to the coffee table.
I hope to also give you a report about the master bathroom vanity, but then I’ve had the same hope for a while now.
I was all set to eat dinner yesterday evening at Starbucks free on my birthday reward when I received a text that our buddy who helps us with things was coming by to put the master bathroom vanity in place.
Mind you he wasn’t coming to hook up the water just get the monster set in place so we can move more easily in the bathroom.
The back and bottom of the vanity are solid wood so a bit of sawing is necessary to accommodate the roughed-in plumbing.
There is also a heat register on the floor under the cabinet that needed to be taken into consideration.
First The Viking and Charlie carefully lifted off the 2-sink marble top and laid it nearby.
Then The Viking made measurements and determined he needed to bring plumbing valves before he could set the cabinet fully in place.
We’re all wondering if the black trim needs to be removed or if it is a spacer for the marble top.
Happy birthday to my favorite niece who shares my birthday.
I warn you in advance this 20-minute chore took me 4 hours and I’m going to give the blow by blow — including all the things left out of the directions that came with the towel bars.
I ordered two Moen Icon towel bars — one 18 inches and one 24 inches — from Amazon.
My plan for the longer bar was to hang it in the master shower which is tiled (with ceramic tile) from floor to ceiling so first I went to our local Home Depot and bought a pack of 4 carbide bits. The instructions for the towel bar called for a 1/4 inch bit but ultimately I needed the smallest and the largest bits in the package.
I needed to decide how high to hang the bar.
Conventional wisdom says 4-feet off the ground for adult towel bars. However, the towel bar at the back of our bathtub is about my head height so I decided to use approximately the same measurement in the shower.
I measured 2 level marks 24 inches apart. Although we own 5 levels I could only find the 48-inch one. The shower is only 44 inches wide so it did me no good. I spent half an hour rusting up another level.
Once the points were marked I tried to drill with the requisite 1/4-inch bit but it really wouldn’t work so I started the hole with the smallest bit and it worked a charm.
So excited to get holes drilled in the tile without cracking it, I put the bracket up to the hole and it would NOT go in. I used the next larger bit — the largest one in the package — to redrill the hole.
The bracket on the left ended up going into a stud so it was secure. The right bracket slid in and the molly would not open. The bracket slid in and out.
So I retaped the hole and marked two holes that matched two generally extraneous holes in the bracket and stuffed the holes with wall anchors.
Then Charlie screwed in the screws which did not come with the towel bars so I spent another 10 minutes looking for those.
We finally had both brackets secured to the wall in the right position with the clip (which replaces a set screw) on the bottom.
We snapped the decorative coverings onto the brackets and admired our work until I realized we had used the 18-inch caps instead of the 24-inch caps. They look exactly alike except for a marking on the inside of the tube.
It took us another 15 minutes to find a screw driver that would fit into the slot to release the caps which we replaced with the ones marked 24.
Looking for tools made this simple, although not straightforward, job take an entire morning. Ugh!
Sidebar: I was trying to think why we couldn’t find our tools. I think when we cleaned up for our Christmas parties we weren’t careful about putting things away. I still can’t find our levels.