For the past couple of days I’ve been looking for a ride-on mower.
I put out the word to a couple friends a couple of days ago that I was in the market for a used mower in the under $500 range. Early yesterday morning while walking her dog my friend saw a Honda ride-on mower.
After receiving texts with photos of the mower and the seller’s phone number, Charlie called and found the price was $600 or best offer. The mower has a double bagging system which should work great for our leaved in autumn.
I did a little research and realized the mower was probably worth half of the quoted price.
We drove over to see it and while we didn’t want to offend the nice man who was selling the mower, Charlie offered $300.
We said our top price is $350. The owner said he couldn’t go below $450 so we thanked him and went home.
Later Charlie got a phone call and the owner said he would take $350. We stopped at the bank to get cash and returned to pick up the mower.
Charlie drove it about 10 blocks down to our friend’s storage shed.
It will rest there until we can convince her brother to drive it to our house in his truck.
I hope we don’t have to wait too long for the mower because our grass is getting long.
Yesterday was hot and steamy but we finished fixing all 9 French garden chairs whose explanation is here and here. I had enough lumber to make 3 additional slats for future repairs. Or if we find chair number 10.
A shop (industrial arts I think they call it now) teacher came to pick up the wallboard fragments left over from our renovation project because her students are building an indoor shed and are learning to work with drywall. This is not the first teacher who has picked up supplies for student use. Teachers are dedicated.
I started repairing the dining room chairs by weaving webbing on the top of the seat frame. Then I had to Google the next steps which I found here.
And wonder of wonders, Charlie started to clean The Cottage bathroom.
Have you finished a long-standing project? Or ridded yourself of some major clutter?
Yesterday’s post described the deconstruction necessary before making the repairs to the French Garden chairs.
Using primed pine mullions I scribed the length onto the onto the new piece matching the slats on the original chairs.
I cut the slats to length with a power miter saw and also trimmed the corners by adjusting the saw to 45 degrees.
I sanded the sharp edges off the corners with a radial hand sander. (I tried using a Dremel tool which was both inefficient and spotty.)
Using one of the broken slats as a guide I marked the screw holes and drilled them so the bolt would be a tight fit. Charlie screwed in the bolts (from our supply) and secured them with nuts on the underside.
We fixed 6 entire chairs. In order to finish the final 3 we need a trip to Home Depot for more lumber supplies.
I have had 10 9 French garden chairs for over thirty years.
I bought them at Pier One on sale for $10 each.
Over the years the slats of the chair seats have broken or become detached.
I assumed someone would be selling replacement slats because these chairs are so popular. Not being able to find the slats I looked for a synonym of “slat” and “lath” came up. It seemed primed pine mullion would work. Although it is not curved like the slats on the original chairs the thickness and width were similar.
I worked the broken slat off a chair. They were riveted on. I knew the replacement would need to be fastened with nuts and bolts.
Charlie used a cut off wheel on a Dremel tool to cut through the rivet.
He removed the portion that remained in the hole with a punch and hammer.
Some of the chairs had more broken slats than others.
Next tasks: cut the slats, drill holes, attach slats.