Next Monday I’m buying a house on which I chose not to have a contingency due to condition.
We had a comprehensive inspection and unfortunately the house is in very rough condition so I have made a “let’s get started” list.
Even before the inspection I had the electricity turned on. And the estate agent had the bank send a man to dewinterize the house including turning on the water.
Happily the electric works; the water runs and is potable.
- get list of contractors from real estate agent: Electrician, Plumber, Roofer, General contractor
- remove tree on power lines
- call plumber – look at water heater, furnace, propane heater, all plumbing
- clean up old tractors, mowers, debris, etc., photograph and list on Craigslist
- call oil company
- make plan for cleaning each room
- pull up carpet per room
- clean bathrooms
- clean kitchen – test appliances
- clean laundry room – test appliances
- power wash deck, translucent stain
- check out dock by pond
- completely clean screen porch
- call roof contractor
- tear down kitchen wall and ceiling
- tear down bathroom wall
- Call internet/phone company
That should get us well on our way.
What system in your house is most important to you?