A Bag of Pine Cones

I brought a bag of pine cones home from work with no idea what I was going to do with them.

I have a huge bag of dried pine cones.
I have a huge bag of dried pine cones.

Then I saw a cute project with instructions I decided to follow — pine cone trees in a wax base.

The large white candle has a divine scent.
The large white candle has a divine scent.

Instead of using crayons I decided to use wax from a scented candle.

The microwave overheated and shut off.
The microwave overheated and shut off.

I put the wax in a glass bowl in the microwave as directed.  Going for about a minute at a time I left the wax in for approximately 5 minutes.  The microwave got so hot that it turned off.

I was worried that I had broken it. The microwave was not a good method for me to melt wax. (After cooling sufficiently, the microwave came back to life.)

The candle warmer does a great job melting wax.
The candle warmer does a great job melting wax.

Using the same glass bowl I decided to use my candle warmer. I simply broke apart some old candles and let them melt. So easy and much safer.

I cut down the cups with a pair of scissors.
I cut down the cups with a pair of scissors.

I had already cut down some 9 ounce paper cups to about an inch tall. I poured the melted wax into the cup bottoms.

Steady the pine cones while the wax is cooling.
Steady the pine cones while the wax is cooling.

As the wax was cooling I settled in a pine cone. Before the wax was totally set I straightened up the pine cones.

The paper cup has been carefully pulled off the pinecones left and right.
The paper cup has been carefully pulled off the pinecones left and right.

I plan to use these “trees” alongside my bottlebrush trees for winter decorations. And we can use them as fire-starters.

I'm using bottlebrush trees on the Christmas mantel.
I’m using bottlebrush trees on the Christmas mantel.

When they’re all set up I might give them a dusting of spray paint.

Are all your kitchen appliances in working order?

Advertisements

Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

6 thoughts on “A Bag of Pine Cones”

  1. Lucky you. So glad the microwave is okay. The trees look good. If you use them as a fire starter will the wax get burned away or will it make a little bit of a mess?

    1. I was wondering that myself. I’ll have to look it up. Perhaps I should spread them with a little peanut butter and birdseed and set them out for the birds. Jo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s