Slipcover Rehab

I made slipcovers for our loveseats back in 1991.

The loveseats used to be in the living room before the renovation. (2012)
The loveseats used to be in the living room before the renovation. (2012)

They are still in good condition.

The back seam of both slipcovers were unfinished.
The back seam of both slipcovers were unfinished.

After our major renovation ended in 2014 I washed them to remove the dust and grime. Since then they have been in the conservatory with the seams hanging open.

The loveseat is on its end in the dining room while the conservatory floor was being finished.
The loveseat is on its end in the dining room while the conservatory floor was being finished.

When we moved the furniture out of the conservatory to have the floors laid we removed the slip covers to wash them again. Unfortunately Charlie also dried them totally in the dryer.

The slipcover gets tucked into the crevasses of the loveseat before returning the cushions.
The slipcover gets tucked into the crevasses of the loveseat before returning the cushions.

I actually had to rewet them because the covers need to be damp in order to be put back on the sofas. After washing and spinning them I put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes, then ironed the skirts.

Blindstitching the opening is a hand-sewing project.
Blindstitching the opening is a hand-sewing project.

I stretched the covers over the loveseats. This time I blind-stitched the opening closed.

We're still moving furniture back in to the conservatory slowly.
We’re slowly moving furniture back in to the conservatory.

Now the loveseats have been set up again in the conservatory.

Do you have a small sewing project you should get to soon?

Advertisements

Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

6 thoughts on “Slipcover Rehab”

    1. And I was thinking I would never consider doing it again. I have a cushion in my windowseat that I’ve been working on for 10 years. I know how but it’s not easy. Hope you learn to do it though because it’s very satisfying. Jo

  1. I’m glad you were able to get them back on the love seats. I have some outdoor fabric that’s been sitting for months waiting for me to make covers for my old very comfortable Walmart outdoor swing. The outer fabric is falling apart but the swing is still good.

  2. They’re beautiful slipcovers–you did a very professional job. I’m glad they didn’t shrink too much in the dryer! Someone would have been in trouble. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s