Tea Dye For

I bought new curtains for the living room here.

The new curtains are too white white.
The new curtains are too white white.

My plan is to dye the curtains so they go with the greige color of the shades and the creamy white of the sofa.

I wet the fabric swatches and marked them as to the batch.
I wet the fabric swatches and marked them as to the batch.

To do a trial run I cut up an old white cotton pillowcase to use as test swatches for dying the new white living room curtains.

Coffee on the left and tea on the right.
Coffee on the left and tea on the right.

I brewed some dark coffee from already used coffee grounds hoping most of the greasiness would be gone.  I also brewed some strong tea to test the difference in color between coffee and tea.

Tea on the left; coffee on the right.
Tea on the left; coffee on the right.

I timed the duration of the soaking of the pre-wetted swatches in 10 minute intervals.

  • 1T = 10 minute in tea dye
  • 2T = 20 minutes in tea dye
  • 1C = 10 minutes in coffee dye
  • 2C = 20 minutes in coffee dye
Tea on the left; coffee on the right. Shade fabric at the top of the photo.
Tea on the left; coffee on the right. Shade fabric at the top of the photo.

The tea dyed fabric was very peachy colored and so I rejected tea as a dye.

C1 is the closest match to the shade fabric.
C1 is the closest match to the shade fabric.

The coffee was much better. It tinted the white fabric so it looked like unbleached muslin. The color I ultimately want would be a little greyer.

I have a half bottle of navy dye remaining from this project.
I have a half bottle of navy dye remaining from this project.

In my next test I’m going to add a small amount of navy dye to the coffee and hope it adds just a bit of grey.

Have you ever used natural dyes?

Advertisements

Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

4 thoughts on “Tea Dye For”

    1. I would have thought tea was the answer. So glad I made a test run.. Usually I just jump into it and correct mistakes as I go along. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t. Jo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s