Fixing the French Garden Chairs – Part Two

Yesterday’s post described the deconstruction necessary before making the repairs to the French Garden chairs.

The chair slats break when they get rotten.
The chair slats break when they get rotten.

Using primed pine mullions I scribed the length onto the onto the new piece matching the slats on the original chairs.

Newly cut slat.
Newly cut slat.

I cut the slats to length with a power miter saw and also trimmed the corners by adjusting the saw to 45 degrees.

In the end I held the sander stationery and rotated the end of the slat against the rotating disc.
In the end I held the sander stationery and rotated the end of the slat against the rotating disc.

I sanded the sharp edges off the corners with a radial hand sander.  (I tried using a Dremel tool which was both inefficient and spotty.)

Instead of re-riveting the slats, we used nuts and bolts.
Instead of re-riveting the slats, we used nuts and bolts.

Using one of the broken slats as a guide I marked the screw holes and drilled them so the bolt would be a tight fit. Charlie screwed in the bolts (from our supply) and secured them with nuts on the underside.

The chairs feel very secure.
The chairs feel very secure.

We fixed 6 entire chairs. In order to finish the final 3 we need a trip to Home Depot for more lumber supplies.

Any difference in material should be equalized with paint.
Any difference in material should be equalized with paint.

When all the chairs are repaired I’m planning to give them a fresh coat of paint with our pneumatic paint sprayer.

Did you have a productive weekend?

Advertisements

Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

5 thoughts on “Fixing the French Garden Chairs – Part Two”

  1. They look great, Jo. I’m so glad you made it work. It’s such a good feeling when the status goes from storage to usable. I’m making some headway on my office / guest room. Need to get moving a little faster on that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s