Not As Planned

Back here I took suggestions on which way to hang the kitchen curtains I was making from a tablecloth.

Border down (with more fabric showing in the final).
Border down (with more fabric showing in the final).

The voting was even including people who read the blog post and told me their preference privately. I decided border down made more sense to me and I wouldn’t have to finish the long cut edge.

Making curtains requires a lot of ironing.
Making curtains requires a lot of ironing.

I had taken my measurement for the bump-out wall from the original plans. (I didn’t actually measure it.)  On the plans the long window was 110 inches so I ordered the 108-inch tablecloth.

98 inches from corner to corner.
98 inches from corner to corner.

In actuality the width was 98 inches — 8 feet exactly plus an inch on each side. This meant I could use one 8-foot 1 by 2 to hold the fabric up. But now I had about 12 inches of extra fabric to account for.

The pleat made the design repeat look awkward.
The pleat made the design repeat look awkward.

First I tried to put a pleat above the stile that separated the large window from the two smaller ones.  Unfortunately the pleats didn’t fall in a spot that enhanced the design repetition.

The pleat was in the correct placement but looked haphazard.
The pleat was in the correct placement but looked haphazard.

Instead of pleats I folded in the edges and topstitched along a printed line thus making the side borders narrower than the bottom border.  I did not cut off any fabric.

The dark border on the side is doubled back over itself.
The dark border on the side is doubled back over itself.

Then I stapled the fabric along the back of the 8-foot 1 by 2, ran it over the top and let it fall on the front side.

I used push pins to temporarily hold the fabric on the board so it could be easily adjusted.
I used push pins to temporarily hold the fabric on the board so it could be easily adjusted.

The top of the curtain (or shade) is 8 inches from the ceiling.  At first I mistakenly hung it only 7-inches from the ceiling but it didn’t totally cover the top row of window panes which looked too busy.

I staples about every 6 inches.
I staples about every 4 to 6 inches.

The curtain is 30.5 inches long.

Planning curtains for the returns on the bump-out next.
Planning curtains for the returns on the bump-out next.

I still have half of a tablecloth to make smaller curtains for the 2 side windows and  the window on the long counter near the sink.

Do you have tips on correcting wrong measurements?

Advertisements

Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s