At Long Last

Finally we’re getting down to laying the floor in Glade Cottage bathroom that we purchased over a year ago . The directions suggest the flooring be left in the area it is to be installed for a couple of days. Will 365+ be sufficient?

The current brick-patterned flooring and the new wood-patterned vinyl.

Charlie called a friend to come over and give him some pointers as to how to lay a floating floor. To begin Charlie took up the old floor. The baseboard trim had already been removed. At one point he tried using a heat gun which melted the old floor before it loosened the glue so that method was abandoned.

The vinyl bricks came up pretty easily.

He removed the toilet then repaired the sub-floor just in front of the sink which needed to be brought up to the level of the rest of the floor.

The patch of subfloor in front of the sink fits snugly.

We decided here which way the grain should go. Each piece of laminate was marked and cut.

Charlie used a circular saw to cut the flooring to size and a jigsaw for circular details.

The first course was laid at the back of the room and we worked our way toward the door.

Charlie tried a makeshift block of wood nailed to a crowbar to snug the flooring together. It didn’t really work.

First we dry-laid the floor making sure the sections would fit tightly with the recommended 1/4 inch gap around the walls.

Twisting the prybar worked well to pull the pieces together.

The area near the toilet needed to be trimmed into a circle (actually 2 semicircles) to allow the main drain to function. Happily the water line for the toilet comes out of the wall and not the floor so no fancy cutting was necessary in that area.  Unfortunately water supply the valve was not working properly and the pipe dripped until we replaced the toilet.

The cut around the toilet flange was too small and so needed to be trimmed again with the sabre saw.

Before installing the laminate the entire floor was primed (at our friend’s suggestion) and covered with foam underlayment which attached to the next piece of underlayment with a sticky strip that ran down one side.

The film side is placed on top and difficult to mistake because it reads “this side up” in red letters.

One side of the foam was covered with a waterproof film (vinyl coating) which was placed on the side nearest the laminate flooring.

Foam underlayment is laid over the entire floor and a few inches up the wall.

We replaced the prefitted flooring and called it a day.

We’re hoping the most difficult work is behind us.

One more session and this floor should be finished.  We also plan to add trim around the walls and caulk the floor on the tub side.

Do your projects take more than one session to complete?


Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s