Bird’s Eye: Wink, Wink

We have a round window in our only full bathroom at The Glade.

The bird’s eye window at The Glade.

A window like this is often referred to as a bird’s eye window.

Bird’s Eye Window at The Glade

In the design for the renovation two more bird’s eye windows have been planned.

The round window on the left echoes the original round window on the right.

The pursuit is on for us to find these 2 additional round windows.  We’d really like them to look like the original one even if they are a different size.

Can you spot the bird’s eye on the east wing?

The really difficult thing is to try and find windows that open.  Our window is about 22″ in diameter and rotates in the frame to open.

The window has a half screen and rotates in the sash to open.

I’ve only seen one like it in my search of local and internet salvage sites.

This beauty is no longer available.

They’re popular in our area but finding one not already installed is challenging.

What elusive object are you seeking?


Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

3 thoughts on “Bird’s Eye: Wink, Wink”

  1. I have one of these round windows in my bathroom that needs work. The issue is the metal weatherstripping that the rotating pane is connected to. My pane is grooved at contact points with the windowsill. This creates a track for the rotation. It also keeps cold air out. Does yours have this? If so, do you have any idea where I can get some? I just had it worked on and the renovator screwed it up, taking the weatherstripping out, then putting it back in crooked. Now the panes doesn’t turn. Let me know…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s