Dutch, You’re on Your Way Out

Dutch Door - notice the wedge gap at the top

 As I told you here we bought a terrific door to replace the ill-fitting Dutch door at Glade Cottage.

Seriously, this door has got to go!

 The process to replace it (like all rehab projects) took more effort than would seem necessary.

Door knob and deadbolt

 First I removed the existing hardware so I could clean it and paint the door which is grey on the exterior and white on the inside.

I lightly sanded the glossy finish with my electric palm sander.


Next I taped the window. This is a step I usually leave out but I knew this door would take multiple coats of paint and so in the interest of time and precision I taped.

Windows taped for painting

 As you can see, under the grey was burgundy red, so I primed the door with Kilz.  I painted all the edges also, while my brush was wet.


 Next we (it took a tag team effort) removed the Dutch door so we could use the hinges on the new door.

Dutch Door hinges

 This proved quite an undertaking as some of the screws required a squarehead screwdriver which we own but could not locate. Finally the doors are off and it’s Charlie’s job to remove the hinges from the doors themselves. So when we put the project to bed for the night we stapled a sheet to the screen door and left it at that.

Sheet at the door

 Of course it poured down rain overnight but nevertheless the rain did not get into the Cottage.  Does it take you multiple days (weeks, months, years) to accomplish a seemingly straightforward project? Stick with us, we’ll be back with progress reports.


Author: Jo

Welcome to The Glade, where the second generation of renovations has just begun and the mania about our home, music and other passions fill our days and nights. We’re Charlie and Jo in the music world; Mary Jo and Charles to family; and JoJo and Charlie to each other. We are renovating a midcentury house in a Victorian historic district where we want to live there the rest of our lives. It's a 1946 house located in Maryland. We were married in this house. Thus far (pre-blog) we refinished cabinets, added a window seat (still working on the cushion), rearranged a wall in the guest house due to sink/vanity replacement, planted a vegetable garden, and other quick and not-so-quick fixes. So this latest zeal for construction is the result of my having lived here since 1997 and feeling a need to ready the house for the next chapter and beyond.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s