One of the fun parts of party planning for me is making the menu. I like a menu of comfort food, maybe something a little different from the everyday, foods I can cook without a recipe.
Here’s the menu for our Twelfth Night Party:
- Hot spiced cider punch – punch bowl and extra cups
- Coffee, tea, Glade Fizz
- Cole slaw – trifle bowl (Saturday)
- Corn pudding – Polish pottery baking dish (Saturday)
Turkey breastRoast chicken – Christmas tree platter (Saturday)
- Stuffing – Evesham baking dishes (Saturday)
- Gravy – Gravy boat or hunting pitcher (Friday)
- Cranberry sauce – Footed bowl (Thursday night)
- Good bread/rolls – Silver platter
- Mayonnaise – crystal bowl
- Pickles – pickle dish
- Cheesecake – cake stand (Friday)
- Petite popovers with powdered sugar
Next to each item on the menu I note the day I’m making it and the dish in which I plan to serve it. I try to decide these things in advance to simplify the hectic “day of the party”.
Next item is to make a grocery list (including staples) based on the menu.
Turkey breastWhole chickens
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Orange juice
- Red apples
Finally I check the grocery store sale circulars and change items that might have a similar or better value. This week whole chickens are on sale but not turkey breasts so I’ve made that small change.
This particular menu is slightly labor intensive on the day of the party but basically leaves me free during the party to entertain our guests.
What’s a party without food? What’s your favorite party food?